The sister course to George Wright, Franklin Park opened in 1896 and is the second oldest municipal golf course in America. Part of the Emerald Necklace of city parks designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, this wide-open track was originally laid out by Willie Campbell before getting the full Donald Ross treatment in 1922. It presents an entirely different - and many believe more enjoyable - slate of challenges than George Wright, playing over more gently sloping ground and offering a number of holes begging for a towering blast with the driver. The course shows some teeth on the back side, with several challenging green sites and the famous uphill par-4 12th, which has torpedoed many a hot round. Superintendent Russell Heller and his team keep the place in top shape, and try to keep nine holes open until the first snowfall.